Friday, October 30, 2009

The Joy and Pleasure of Making Books

This is a book made entirely of wood. Each leaf is cut into the shape of the leaf and each leaf is made from the wood it represents. I didn't make it, but won it as part of a book swap...but would like to share it, other books and a story with you....


My passion for books started at a really early age…. probably about 3 years old. Been brought up by a bunch of teenagers had it’s advantages. Each week I could have either a Ladybird Book, or a Matchbox Car. I had over a 100 Ladybird Books and you can still buy them now!

My Calligraphy and Lettering path lead me to a workshop where I actually learnt to make my own! Totally different and a refreshing change from writing on paper and mounting or framing it, and the delivery of profound and sometimes moving words seemed more personal and intimate.

Over the years I took part in many on-line book swaps organised by fellow calligraphers. Our deep love and understanding of words gave is the perfect vehicle for sharing our inspirational creativity alongside the texts that moved us. We are a fortunate bunch of people who, on the whole, can actually ‘feel’ the words, then express them as marks on a page. These movements come from deep within, unlike handwriting and lettering for lettering's sake.

I was clearing out the studio the other day and on top of a filing cabinet are about 8 boxes. Each box is full of memories…. memories for which I cannot part with and no amount of money would buy what’s in those boxes.

The actual value of what’s inside monetary wise is very little, for they are nothing but bits of paper….but inside each box holds the spirit and essence of those creative hands that sent items mostly from abroad and their value on a spiritual level is….PRICELESS! The words, thoughts, sentiments and pure kindness cannot be bought or sold. Some of the items were done by complete beginners and others pieces by ‘masters’, each created piece is just as valuable as the next. The beginners did not wait to become experts and the experts weren’t so precious with their work that they refused to part with it. All this was sent as an act of love….the Love of sharing their life’s passion.

Friendships were formed and many of us are still firm friends almost 20 years later. We have not met each other….and yet we ‘know’ each other so well. We belonged to an on-line group who shared a common bond….and that group still exists today. Many of us now are on Facebook and other social networking site. We know about each others lives, kids, families. We have shared both joys and tragedies. We have supported and encouraged each other over the passage of time. We have known each other since our kids were little! We have shared stories and poems and pieces of wisdom and helpful guidance when it has been asked of us. We are not well paid for the hours we spend, doing what we love…..but the rewards are more precious than gold!

I’d like to share a few of my most treasured gifts……

Here;s a book by
Beth Lee who very kindly offered to host the swaps
You can see more of her books on HER BLOG HERE

The book was made using dark green paste paper and written in Gold....stunning!


And here is a real treasure from Bev Allen who I had the great fortune to meet when I had my studio in Darlington and she came over from Canada on a visit...

Were still good buddies on Facebook and via the blogging world. It's about time she got her own blog as the link above is one that she runs for her guild.


This is another wonderful book I received in a book swap at a local group called Quatro'.

And this is another amazingly Small concertina book. As you can see from the ruler it must have took some careful planning and expert calligraphy to do the copperplate in letters no higher than about 3mm!
And for all you book making buddies out there who make 'One Off' books or small print run editions...you might like to visit Vamps and Tramps it's worth a peek.
OK I'm on my last lap of decorating this weekend. The weather forecast is not good, gale force winds on Sunday and thanks to my mums help I have only the bedroom and the hall, stairs and landing to emulsion and the bedroom to gloss. With such crappy eyesight I was always terrified of going it alone, but this Pixie will not be beaten! Ra, ra, ra! I've been reading a book called The Power of TED* and I think it's gone to my head...well that and the Bach Flower Remedies!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...