Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Calligraphy and Lively Lettering Art in Cumbria

Well, I'm back, rejuvenated and revitalised after my teaching day in Penrith. Penrith is in the Lake District in Cumbria and a beautiful place it is too. The Lakes always seem to hold a special magic for me, and with the changing of the seasons and Autumn's arrival, the turning leaves on the trees make it specially beautiful
Eden Valley Scribes (you can see their blog by clicking the highlighted text) are a wonderful bunch of people, with a great sense of humour and it was great to be back! They're a small but very keen group and they embraced the Lively Lettering without complaint. I think the fact the tutor made them tea and coffee all day, to keep them happy and keep them working helped! For a more detailed look at the day go to The Eden Valley Scribes Blog;

I was staying at Alison 's overnight (Eden Valley Scribes Blog Owner), but on our way home we stopped off her....
Gretna Green became famous for it's runaway marriages, this began in 1753 when an act of parliament was passed in England which stated that if both parties to a marriage were not at least 21 years old, then consent to the marriage had to be given by the parents. This Act did not apply in Scotland where it was possible for boys to get married at 14 and girls at 12 years old with or without parental consent. Since 1929 both parties have had to be at least 16 years old but there is still no consent needed.
Couples still think they can just turn up and get married, but 15 days notice has to be served...just in case either party is still married! It is still one of the most popular Wedding Venues and host to around 5000 weddings a year!
Then I spent a wonderful night with a paranormal investigator and owner of 'Mysterious Britain', We talked of ghosts, orbs, legends and haunting and things that go bump in the night....lol. Alison kept herself amused with loads of Bookbinding Books that I had taken along.
All too soon (but probably much to the relief of Alison's ears, it was time to go home....it was wonderful catching up.
The visit to Castle Rigg Stone Circle was as per usual, wet, misty and windy, but somewhere I like to go if I am over there.

On the way back we visited Rheged with it's food, exhibitions, events and the most wonderful array of fine craft shops. Definitely worth a visit if you are over there.
I'm home and my batteries feel recharged. I'm repeating the workshop for North East Scribes in just a little less than a months time. And I can't wait!
I now realise I miss teaching so much. Not the 2 hours a week and out every night kind of teaching, but full days where you can inspire and create and get peoples juices flowing. I love motivating people and I would prefer to leave the basic lettering teaching to others...I want them when they are on their way and ready to open up to new experiences and have found the joy and passion that Letters can bring into their art work.
So thank you Alison, and Ian for being such wonderful hosts and thank you Eden Valley Scribes for your lack of complaints and dedication to the continuation of Lettering Art! May your nibs never run dry.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...