Friday, October 09, 2009

Calligraphy Workshop in Cumbria

Whoooo hoooo. I'm off to teach in Penrith tomorrow for a wonderful group of calligraphers Eden Valley Scribes. I've been busy all week preparing notes and exemplars and working out my class plan. I was musing at how much calligraphy and Lettering Art in particular has changed over the years. When I submitted the following piece for my Diploma, the letters were 'expected' to be formal, consistent and show a good knowledge and understanding of the style used. I suppose I must have done something right as I passed with 97% and got a distinction. I think it's highly unlikely I'd pass these days...not with these eyes! lol

I think it's worth reading you the words on this piece they are as follows
Mantra is a sound, and sound is an aspect of energy
A powerful energy that can influence the mind.

In order to experience meditation and Samadhi
you need a certain quality of mind,
Those who practice meditation without preparing the mind,
Do not have the right kind of experience.

The sounds of specific mantras make the mind clean
of it’s impurities and impressions.

Hatha Yoga Pradipika Ch4 V113
And this ones from The Lord of the Rings....
Yes calligraphy has come a long way. Tomorrow I'll be teaching the letters that I have been developing/playing with. The hardest thing for me has been the fact that I have had to Analise my own letters, take them to pieces, put them into groups and in some way make them connect, in order to teach them to others. Because I worked on the letters without much thought I've had to come backwards in order to come forwards (if you see what I mean). I have done a couple of pieces in pencil crayon...not very happy with them but they will show a technique

And I've done this piece using a thicker nib than I am going to teach with, showing that weight, size and form can give you a huge range of possibilities.
Here's a closer look at those letters....


I love teaching. It gives me the chance to pass on the knowledge, tip and techniques that I have learnt over the last 20 years and keeps the spirit of Lively Lettering alive and well in this desperate age of computers. People are so not used to picking up a pen these days never mind a broad edged nib. So many things are done on computer...even art! I'm sorry folks but theres nothing that can beat that wonderful urge to get down, get inky and get dirty. I'm staying over at the wonderful Alisons and Sunday gives me the chance to go and visit the wonderful Castle Rigg with it's stone circle and panoramic views. Wonderful! Hopefully the Pixie will be well rested and rejuvenated, ready to get my head around the stack of books I need to read over the coming weeks.

Have a great weekend.

Sue xxx

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...