Thursday, October 06, 2011

Follow your Heart!

I don't mind admitting it....I've got the bug! The bug for these little doodles!
Planning a workshop is never easy. You have to think from start to finish or rather how you will get the students from learning a basic technique and then running it through to a finished item.



People have different levels of experience and learn at different rates. The advanced students have to be held back, while the beginner students seem sometimes to be fast tracked..






It was while I was preparing this lettering workshop, that I got the bug for these colourful doodles.






For the advanced students my fear is that they will find it.....shall we say 'Kitsch' while I worry that the beginners will not grasp that the playful lettering is a different thing altogether than the formal lettering they are used to. Contemporary calligraphy can only come from a solid foundation and with experience of of formal lettering....no matter how easy it looks.



After, writing and rewritings my class plan, I've decided to 'Follow My Heart' and run with this idea. It will not suit everybody and it will appeal to some more than others. However, I have decided to take my own advice for once.



By following your heart you can be sure of one thing, you are being true to yourself, and from this comes enthusiasm which hopefully you can pass on to your students






So often we hold back through fear. When the head takes over and all sense or reason flies out of the window and the seeds of doubt creep in. Don't let your head rule your decision making. Just go wit the flow and 'Follow Your Heart', your most basic core instinct!






How will you 'Follow Your Heart' today?

2 comments:

Ms Scarlet said...

I have actually done a thumbnail sketch for something based on your last doodle post, I may even draw it up properly as I was quite pleased with it.
Good luck with the class!
Sx

Sue Simpson said...

Oooooer Scarlet! I look forward to seeing it :o)
xxx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...