Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Art Techniques - Using Resists

I have so much to blog about I don't know where to start, but as Blogger is playing up and won't let me move my pictures where I want them by dragging and dropping I will have to blog in small parts, over a few separate posts. This first post is about using resists in your Art Work and I'm blogging about this simply because this is what I have been doing today as a way of experimenting.

Firstly there are many things you can use as a resist. Wax is probably the most common medium, but almost impossible to write over afterwards. FW Acrylic Ink is waterproof when dry. The black in particular is good to use if you want to write something then have the wash go over it in a specific way. I decided to try white FW to see what happens.

First write or draw your words....
Ok....so you can't see it...it is Waite on white however. Then paint over your wash.... Here I painted over FW acrylic As you can see the results are pretty awful.
Perhaps I'll try the above with Watercolour and see if that makes a difference.
Next was something that I KNOW is wonderful. Pebeo Drawing Gum (Masking Fluid to the uninitiated) In the past I've used W&N and found it not only difficult to flow from the pen but it awful for getting off afterwards, peeling the paper away with it if the paper has a slightly fuzzy feel, especially the softer papers. Pebeo however is wonderful. You can easily see it on the page as it dries to the most wonderful dark grey.

When dry paint over your wash. and let it dry again....

Rub off the gum (make sure it is absolutely dry as a bone first) and....here we have it....perfect!

The paper stays it's original colour underneath and no rub off.

4 comments:

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

that looks beautiful Sue:)

Kath said...

Come to my Blog tomorrow for your Glastonbury fix :D

sue said...

i thought the first pic was cool, surprised when you said it was awful :o) then seeing the next pics i see what you mean.. tis bloomin fabulous, i do still rather like the misty effect of the first one too x

Mel said...

Ha! I agree with Sue..I thought the first one was quite nice too!

I've always wondered how you (meaning you and Suzi) get this particular look....thanks heaps for this glimpse into your world!!

~love~

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...