Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Full Moon, Teaching Calligraphy and Family Day

The Moon, some real Stars
and my Son....and my Daughter-in-Law

Well, I promised this post last night and intended to write this sooner, but last night was the full moon and there was no sign of her, but tonight it’s crisp outside and the sky is clear… So I just had to take yet another picture of her in all her glory. It’s just part of the Pixies weirdness, photographing full moons…. Oh yes and rainbows. I think I have this innate fear that I perhaps will never see one again? I don’t know, perhaps it’s a sign of madness, but then most artists are a bit…. Er shall we say….’odd’….. the perfect get out clause I think.



I had a wonderful weekend. I haven’t felt the need to go out over winter at all, it’s been too cold and I’ve been too busy, planning, lots and lots of things, reading books (I never thought I would get through so many!) and creatively my minds been on overload, FANTASTIC!

I was booked to teach North Yorkshire Calligraphers. The subject and title was up to me, so I offered to teach a workshop and entitled it ‘The WOW Factor’. Now I have to say here, that these calligraphers are well experienced not brand new beginners and I have the pleasure of being their President (although I neglect them badly!) and in my opinion don’t deserve the title.

I was greeted by the new chairman, Alan Ditchburn, who immediately shouted everyone to get a camera as it was probably the first and only time the Chairman and President were going to be seen together (meaning what? Lol) I knew then that our sense of humour was the same and we were all in for a great day. The old familiar faces turned up one by one and everyone was pleased to see me.
SPECIAL NOTE: (old….oh that sounds like they are ancient! – I meant old in the way of I have known some of them 20 years!)
When I teach any calligraphy class, the first hurdle to get over is their lack of confidence, in both themselves and their abilities and capabilities. I discussed with them the need to let go and relax and as always sort out the inside in order to work on the outside. I think its amazing how many artists these days need to work through personal issues, look inside themselves and look at self improvement books and motivational books (Yes including me!) in order to release their Creative Spirits. Many years ago now I bought a copy of The Artists Way by Julia Cameron. (I also own The Vein of Gold also by Julia) It is a 13 week programme of Awareness, both artistically and creatively. You very soon find that when you’ve worked on the inside, what comes through your art is more true to yourself and the barriers drop. Most of it is just giving yourself permission to just ‘do’. Before getting creative, calligraphers need to go through the tedious, structure of formal lettering. Formal letters ensure that we know the rules, As the late great Granddad of calligraphy Edward Johnston said:Rules are only there to ensure good practice, once we have gained mastery by practice, we should form our own rules. Here here!

Well, as per usual, the day went too quickly, they worked hard and were without complaint…. A bit unruly at times, especially from the boys table, but teacher kept them all in check, even the new boy in the class…. If the poor guy ever comes back it will be a miracle! Lol. No really at the end of the day, calligraphers have the most wonderful and daft sense of humour. This can very easily get out of hand and encouragement is not usually needed. Summer Schools seem to be classic examples of this, where I have seen people drawing and painting great big affirmations and quotations on their clothes, bodies and anywhere else they can put letter, I’ve seen people try to gild eyelids (MINE if I remember correctly!)…. And all other manner of fun and frolics. Were a mad and crazy bunch, who have a passion for the written word, philosophers, spiritual teachers, and many other things that float their boat, but they also have a deep sense of caring, friendliness, spirituality and calmness. If you want a hobby that goes from the sublime to the ridiculous, but will take you around 10 years to become anywhere near competent,

LEARN CALLIGRAPHY!

Although there were 20 calligraphers, and most of them unaware of my nick name of the Purple Pixie....quite a few of them turned up in PURPLE! Even the Chairman....I told them there was no need for school uniform.... but flattered all the same! lol
The above is the serious photograph....and below? Well, no comment!
They turned out a fantastic amount of work considering they had to learn the technique from scratch. I told them they should get them banged in frames and non would look out of place in an exhibition. I'm sure you'll agree.

Sunday.....It was my daughter-in-law to be's birthday the week before and was to be going out for a meal with the family on the Saturday. Sadly they let her down and I couldn't go because of the teaching...so we went on Sunday instead. we spent a wonderful family day together. My son first took me to a huge Craft Warehouse and we spent over and hour (closer to 2 hours!!!!) in there. he's very artistic too so we were like kids in a sweet shop, poor Sarah couldn't really understand what we were getting all excited about. I did offer to buy her a kit, but she declined gracefully. lol. However we did surprise her with a 3 course meal (she thought that we were just grabbing something from McDonalds- hehehe). The food was fantastic, relaxed and best of all, we spent some well needed family time together.

And to end this post.....Venus, the LURVE sign can be seen clearly in the sky to the West at the moment. My son has seen it but unfortunately it's been a starless few nights. The sky to the West is obliterated by an obscene amount of floodlights lighting up the hospital like it was daylight. Tonight we had a power cut, the second today, and I did think I'd get the chance to see it while the sky was black without all the damn light polution, but I didn't. I tell you, once you are out in a field with no street lights, it's absolutely amazing how many stars you can see. there should be a law against street lights, the solution is easy....Downlighters! They do it in County Durham.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...