Thursday, April 12, 2012

Resisting change and technology! - Not everything new is bad!

Ok, ok, ok.... I'm the first to admit I'm a total technophobe! I think my long standing passion for calligraphy, lettering, wet ink , paint and paper as well as my inability to understand written instructions in their simplest forms, made me this way.
I mean, if you show me I can understand and remember.... give me written information and I... well run away in the opposite direction.


It was a surprise to me when I met Steve....a true techie head. So, in his daily life he's a  pesticide chemist, he also loves messing about with electronics, he can make things and understand how things work....even the complicated things. When I balk at technology there's usually a wry smile appears on his face and then it's accompanied by the explanation of why technology is good and more importantly why it is good for me...I take some convincing I can tell you, preferring the simpler things in life (no I'm not going to make a joke about my ex's here.....although it's on the tip of my tongue to do so!)   :o)


After using a fellow artist's iPad a couple of times....i suddenly realised what I had been missing out on! For a Virgo I can be pretty disorganised (no change there then!) and I make notes on bits of paper....lots of notes and LOTS of bits of paper. Having a visual impairment means I very often loose these bits of paper, which then results in a frantic scramble around the studio or on the kitchen table (my favourite place for leaving the bits of paper) and sometimes ends up with me in a stroppy Pixie mood with myself, for being so disorganised and not mindful of what I am doing and where I am leaving things.


In a bid to get sorted at the studio...I did buy these amazing drawers.... all colour co-ordinated to help me find things quickly..... it helps, a bit!


As business picked up at the back end of last year, I suddenly found myself with 8 Wedding orders on the go.... and the paper juggling exercises became overwhelming. 
One of the great problems with Wedding orders is that the work is scheduled in at different times. The invitations come first then later the place cards, menus, order of service  and other ephemera. Place cards are always a last minute thing as the client doesn't know who is turning up and how many cards are needed till last minute. Keeping a diary, note book, order book, catalogue of designs and a variety of sketch books... Oh yes as well as the bits of jotted notes and post-it-notes became an impossible situation...... so guess what happened? 

The iPad3 was due out a week after I decided to buy one. While the screen resolution of the iPad2 was good, I thought I would wait and go for the 3, with it's even better quality screen. Sighted people would probably not even notice the difference.....but I can. And as they say, every little helps!


I honestly can't believe how useful it has been for me already.
It's my address book, diary, organiser, notepad, sketch pad, it can play my talking books (blimey I thought I was state of the art getting an MP3 player!) it can read out my emails, it's my photo album for taking to wedding fairs and it's fast becoming my (almost) best friend (did I really say that?) ..... I could ramble on and wax lyrical all day.  I was even tempted to rush out and buy a Mac and an iPhone....but I'm holding off on that one. Baby steps Susan (Sunday name for firm out loud voice).


Oh....and did I mention someone else in the Pixie household likes it too.....

So.... here I am.... smitten with my new gadget. Within 24 hours I knew more than I ever knew in a year, when I first got a PC!
My 2 year old grand-daughter can use it.... honestly she can!
And if anyone is pondering and procrastinating on getting one....especially artists who are not used to the less tactile side of life......do not hesitate....it will be the best decision you ever made! 
At the end of the day and the worst case scenario,
It makes a great cat toy!

Message to self:
Another Message to self: 
Not everything new is bad,
evil, a waste of money,
consumerism gone mad
or complicated! 

Message to my wonderful partner
OK, you can stop grinning now!

2 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

I have the iPad2. What a great gadget! But then I love electronic toys.

Sue Simpson said...

'Penultimate' is probably the best thing I've downloaded CJ. From this programme I can make separate books for all kinds of notes.From idea books to general lists. What's your favourite? xxx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...