Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Loosing the plot!


Last week I had a rather funny week. Not sure why…sometimes this just happens. Just as you are up on a hyper high that awful foreboding feeling creep right on in and smacks you in the guts.
Monday started off bad…for no reason at all….or none that I can put my finger on! Suddenly I looked around the studio, decided it was absolutely full to bursting of ‘STUFF’ paper by the ream, paint by the tube, blank canvases, craft idems and ephemera, books, books and more books, and even more paper. I probably have enough stuff to last me the next 2 lifetimes…I think it was THEN that it hit me! Is this some kind of madness? This is the workspace of a crazy person. It’s ALWAYS untidy and totally out of control. I have in the next room a gallery full of items ready to sell, but not selling. I want to make more ‘stuff’ with the ‘stuff’ I have but if it’s not selling what’s the point? I’m just adding to the ‘stuff’ in the gallery.
I can sell my craft items to shops but they take a huge cut out of my profits and although I’m really pleased with my website
I have yet to sell a single item from it.
My studio/gallery is off the beaten track and I’ve never been good at marketing myself. To find your market you have to ask yourself who are my clients…who wants this ‘stuff’? And if I answer truthfully…probably not very many people.
So I think the studio is nothing more than a self indulgent fantasy that one day, just one of these days, someone will see this ‘stuff’ and think….How fantastic is this! England has never seen anything like it! Where has this girl been hiding?But I think that’s nothing more than fantasy.


Among other things I decided to make myself a book. Somewhere I can note down the things that I usually scribble on paper then lose somewhere in piles of other papers. I planned to print some calligraphy on one side of the book and use typeface for the back….and as if I needed to prove a point that I really WAS loosing the plot I printed the back the wrong side of the A4 sheet making the back cover page upside down! ARGH!

I decided that I would still use it to prove a very valid point that I need this book! Good job I can laugh at the fact that sometimes I scare myself and at least the thought of reaching my Crone years as a nutty, batty old lady doesn’t frighten me and I have proof that it’s on it’s way! Oh to be 16 again!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...