Thursday, September 15, 2011

Doodle Time

"CREATIVITY comes from


having an open mind to new ideas,


constantly questioning the established rules.


Though rarely does it come on those days,


when you set out to be creative".


Raymond Blanc



I've just finished a few Wedding orders and was hoping to get some time to play before anything else came in...this is what I came up with....

When I was doing calligraphy for pleasure and teaching, play time was important. From playing came new ideas and from new ideas came finished pieces of work.

When I opened my studio and gallery.....way back in 1999, playing became more and more a thing of the past. Mainly because I was suddenly thrown into the commercial viability of everything and I mean EVERYTHING I did.

I had to suddenly look at everything with fresh eyes and felt guilty at taking, what can only be described as 'Time Out' for fun and playful projects.

Often I'm asked to do commissions that are pretty formal in nature, whereas my overall style is more contemporary these days. So, the commissions very rarely reflect my art work as it is.

I started these flowers using water based felt pens and after wetting the ink with a brush and letting them dry, I rough outlined them with a permanent fine-liner. Oh what fun.



I'm not sure where these will take me and they are merely doodles at the moment. I'm not even sure I will use them at all.....but I certainly had fun playing and I'm looking forward to developing the technique more and coming up with other ideas.



Yes, playing releases the child within!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...