Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Are you STUCK, before even starting?

I love my job as a Calligrapher...but sometimes need to escape from the hum drum 'formal' lettering styles that people expect you to come out with on their commission work.

These Pen Play Doodles have been great fun and a welcome pause to the Creative Spirit.


I was chatting to a friend the other day who is finding it terribly difficult to start her own business. I'm trying to help her as best I can.....and advice is freely given if not always taken.



One of the problems is getting started.



The actual producing of any work.



It's hard when you are juggling kids, jobs, housework, partner, pets.....We've all been there, done that, worn the T-shirt.



Oddly enough, this came up with another friend as she was starting her business, so I thought I would write a blog post about it here....




OK.....so you have all the gear (and more) to start creating.....but something ALWAYS gets in the way. My main advice here is to STOP RIGHT THERE.....hold your horses and BREATHE!



OK....so if this was a conventional job, you wouldn't be able to make excuses as to why you hadn't turned up for work. So, you need to treat it just like that....like a 'PROPER' job!



When you first start out there are lots of reasons and from now on we will call them EXCUSES - (I'll come to this one later) as to why you haven't done anything.



Sometimes, the problem is that you are looking at the BIGGER picture.....looking at having a shed load of stuff to sell, make, create and because you are looking at the bigger picture it becomes overwhelming and you never get round to even starting.



SO....make some ME time....go on.....write it on your calendar right now.....even if it's only time on an evening....and while you're at it.....pen in the following 4 weeks....same time and day.



RIGHT - From now on.....at these Me times you are BUSY....got that? Hell can freeze over, but you are BUSY!



It's better and more conceivable to schedule in one hour per night than try and cram in a full day once a week.....so think carefully before you commit yourself.



Once you have.....it's immovable.



The above little picture is for you.....print it out and hang it somewhere prominent....print and give them away....but PLEASE do NOT try to sell them!





....remind yourself daily that




YOU are WORTH IT!




Believe me, the hubby will be happier, the kids will be happier, the household chores will STILL get done )and quicker if the truth be known!) and the sense of achievement will be AMAZING!




REMEMBER: Take small deliberate steps....each one leads you closer to your goal!




What advice would you give to someone who is stuck before starting?



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Always appreciate your advice even though takes me a while to put the thoughts into action....but now made the jump and taking baby steps...love the doodle and now printing it ...thank you xxx

Ms Scarlet said...

Probably the same as you! Turn up every day as though you were working for somebody else... I'm not saying I take this advice every day though!!!!
Sx

Sue Simpson said...

@ Moonblossom - Well advice freely given doesn't have to be taken, but I'm glad you've made the first step. VERY proud of you xxx

Sue Simpson said...

Hey carlet....good to see you here again :o)
I found one of the hardest things when I started was finding time to create and I would come up with all sorts of excuses.....the odd thing was, the only expectation and pressure was coming from me!
I'm going to blog more about this on the Creative Spirit Blog I think as I really need to change the way that blog is going! (know what I mean lol) xxx

Miri Agassi said...

I like the advice!! I will certainly think about it!! Thank you. :-)

Sue Simpson said...

Hey Miri.....thanks for your kind comments and popping over to my blog. It's very much appreciated.
This is my more.....errrr....shall we say 'personal' blog, where ANYTHING could happen. Just the rantings and musings of a 'middleaged' menopausal Pixie :o)
Pop over to my other blogs at: http://inspiredbyscript.blogspot.com and http://northyorkshireweddings.blogspot.com where the postings are a little less crazy :o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...