Friday, January 01, 2010

In the hour of Advirsity, Be not without hope,

In the hour of adversity,


Be not without hope,


For crystal rain falls


From dark clouds



I Know I’m not the only one who will breath a huge sigh of relief at seeing the back end of 2009. There’s always a sense of relief and a strange fearful optimism that comes with ever New Year.  Oddly I can never reflect on the old year until I have entered the new. I lost many people last year, mostly people who were too young to die and more than one would think of as being a reasonable quantity in anyone’s book, but a friend put it in perspective when she said, ‘Well you shouldn’t know so many people’, and I suppose proportionally I lost no more than the average man. Ironically, each passing caused me to reflect on the vast amount of friendships I have formed both here and abroad through firstly my Calligraphy and Lettering Art and secondly my Spiritual beliefs. Almost all the connections and friendships made are from one or the other of these parts of me that I feel so hard to separate from the ‘Me’ within, the ‘Self’. When you hold your spiritual practices close to your heart it often challenging to ‘Believe’ that whatever happens, all is working out for the higher good.

Looking inward for a time helps us re-evaluate our goals and dreams. It gives us time to shake off that which is no longer working and reach for that which we truly desire. It’s when things seem at their very worst that we grow the most…. Often in leaps and bounds and looking at what there is to be grateful for can help us push away the negativity that can cripple even the strongest person.

Non of us can go through life without being battered around and punched in the gut now and again, for if we suffer no pain, we don’t know the joy of love. If we do not suffer loss, we don’t recognise and appreciate the gains. All in all, what we need to do during the bad times is hold on tight for the ride and reach out for that glimmer of light in the far distance and watch it grow ever so slowly larger,. Eventually the darkness fades and the light returns anew.

Lets make this year, a year of creativity. One where we fill the world with colour. Make art, make love, make new friends. Loose the fear of your art not being ‘good enough’, the act of creating is enough in itself. Create for the sheer pleasure of making something. Learn a new hobby, walk more in nature, play more and connect with your inner child. Build sandcastles on the beach, blow bubbles in the air, sing, dance and laugh more, loose that fear and above all else, fight adulthood at all costs!

I hope you have made your ‘Wish List’ for the year ahead. Fellow friends and bloggers, leave a comment and link if you publish your list. For those without a blog…. Is it not time to create one?

Bright Blessings,

Sue xxx

4 comments:

CJ said...

Without those things that sometimes turn us upside down, we would have no way of knowing how good we really have things. I hope to be more creative this year (circumstances seem to have sucked the creativity from me) and to quell the inner critic, getting rid of the worry of not being good enough

Dave the Firedrake said...

Well I've still to make my list but I agree with most of what you say. I hope that death is kinder to you this shining new year.

Love and blessings,

Dave
xxx

admin said...

CJ...I know exactly what you mean about being upsode down. Sometime we feel like like is simply jogging along nicely then wham bam upside down we go. So I'll make a deal with you...turn upside down and spin around with me, unmatching socks are needed and a little more daring to be different attitude. Let's make this year a year of being true to ourselves and bugger that fitting into what society 'expects'. It's much more fun on this side of the fence....honest ;o)
Love Poppie xxx

admin said...

Dave.... as we have both suffered the loss of a loved one, I know and you know that we know exactly where we are coming from ....does that sound deep? Oh the list can be made at any time, and added to as well. Are you going to be part of my 'wear odd socks' brigade?
Sue xxx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...