Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Lively Lettering Art and Creative Calligraphy

Generally most calligraphy tutors start to teach calligraphy using skeleton letters. These letters are useful for starting beginners off to show them the underlying structure and path that their pens will eventually travel. It also takes the pressure off beginners having to tackle not only a broad edged nib, bottles of ink, unpredictable reservoirs and a multitude of other things that can affect their beautiful letter forms. Once mastered, using a broad edged nib becomes a pushover.

Formal styles of lettering are one thing, but there comes a time when the calligraphy with it’s tight structure and letterform needs to break free.

I started to mess about with first a fine line pen, making the letters quirky, but still with some underlying structure to them…’Playful Pen Letters’
A few days later I built them up slightly using a broad edge pen. I’ve done this with capitals and with lowercase letters and Oh what FUN I’m having!
As with most things that I get my teeth into I want to do this idea to death and will build up on these letters, see what works, discard what doesn’t and see where it takes me. I’ll keep you posted.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...