Thursday, November 20, 2008

When Magic Happens!

It’s sometimes hard to believe, but I have been a calligrapher for over 20 years now. Where does the time go? You would think that after all that time that there would be no great surprises, nothing new to explore and things would get very mundane… not so!
Every now and then a piece of work will just happen, just work out the first time and surprise even the more experienced creative spirit.

I did this piece as I was trying to learn the words off by heart and I gathered that by writing it out I would commit it to memory, like so many of the quotations that are stored in my memory bank over the years.
I gave very little thought to the piece as I was creating it. Because it was about having no fear of the dark I decided to lay down a watercolour wash and then write the words in black and white to represent the full and dark aspects of the moon. No great thinking there then. However, it was only when I came to photograph the piece and notice it at an angle on the drawing board from a distance that I thought a piece of Transtrace © had been laid over the white letters. Can you see the stripe of what looks like semi-transparent paper over the letters?



I went to move it to find out that it wasn’t there at all but an optical illusion! Here is a photo of the piece side ways on to prove I'm not kidding. Being partially sighted, my eyes play many tricks on me, so I'm sort of used to this... but I think it's clear that this could have fooled anyone....

And if you want more proff
heres an even closer version...
Now that’s magic!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...