Thursday, May 17, 2007

Lettering Art On Canvas


What a way to start the day! A package arrived and I could hardly contain my excitement. Had I won the pools? Lottery? Well I might as well have! Some time ago…a few months in fact…I dropped my 2 favourite nibs on the floor beside my drawing board. Did they fall on the carpet that was put there to save breakages? Oh no! They fell onto the hard lino smashing one and bending almost double the other.
These nibs can only be bought in America and added to that I’m afflicted with being Left Handed so they have to be cut by hand. An email from the company told me that they were not in stock and would be some time…so I have been struggling on for months with substandard nibs and getting more and more frustrated by the day. I have only done calligraphy when absolutely necessary. Anyway, I’m happy to say that they are installed in my pen holders.


Mrs N. called me last night and suggested I do a piece of work to take down to Claire (Anna). Great idea! On the evening before Claire’s stroke she put on her blog a poem that she had written in her new journal. A poem called Why I wake early by Mary Oliver her favourite poet.First I thought about doing this in book form, but I wanted to do something that she could glance at often and would remind her of all the love that has been sent from around the world….so here it is! So my first job with my new nibs is for Claire!


The canvas is painted in Acrylics and the writing is also. I just HAD to add some sparkle and glitter and some sequins for added shine. I did it in wonderful bright sunny colours to light up her day every time she looks at it.
Below is a close up detail shot....can you see the sparkles!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...