Thursday, September 11, 2008

When the Creative Spirit goes AWOL

Sometimes my ‘Creative Spirit’ goes AWOL. It’s at times like these when I get out some blank canvases and just paint. I paint with no set theme or idea in mind and just see what happens. Then, I have a stack of pre prepared canvases ready for when the Creative Spirit returns. Sometimes this is just a quotation that I feel I need to write and the canvas is returned once again to it’s resting place. It’s started but nowhere near complete.

After sometime, something will spark an idea off in me and off I go. I thought I would share the before and after pictures with you. I’m sure people think that we, as calligraphers, labour and stare at canvases for hours on end, or have a repertoire of ideas just ready to commit to the substrate, but I’m sure there are many like me who have to sit and wait patiently for the idea to come. Once it has arrived however we can do it to death… until once again we return to the resting stage. I’m sure this is to stop us going mad and keep things fresh and appealing both to ourselves and our clients.

DREAMS CANVAS

Size: 16" x 20"

Acrylic, Ink and Paper on canves

Retail: £50

Detail

More Detail

Below: SPIRIT CANVAS

Size: 11.5" x 32"

Acrylic, Ink and Paper on canves
Retail: £60

Detail

I certainly don’t make a fortune out of my work, and more or less live hand to mouth. I sell my work for far less than I should, but I LOVE my work and would rather someone have the pleasure of it than have it sat around gathering dust. I know at least, if someone buys my work, the very fact that someone likes and appreciates that little part of me that goes with it, is worth far more than any financial recompense. Most calligraphers I know do not charge enough or get reimbursed for all there hard work… not in the creating of the ‘thing’ but in the many hours, weeks and years it takes to become a good calligrapher or lettering artist.During a discussion once, we agreed we could become a brain surgeon quicker than we can become a calligrapher….but it would be half as much fun!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...